Immunohistochemical expression of HGF, c-MET and transcription factor STAT3 in colorectal tumors

Abstract

By immunohistochemistry, we have investigated the expression of hepatocyte growth factor (HGF), HGF-R or c-met and the transcritor factor STAT3 in a series of 80 colorectal tumours (40 adenomas and 40 adenocarcinomas). The expression of HGF, c-met and STAT3 was revealed in 40/40 (100%) of adenomas and in 26/40 (65%) of adenocarcinomas; the remaining 14/40 (35%) carcinomas expressed cmet but failed to express HGF and STAT3. Positive immunoreaction score was defined through the number of stained cells: low (1-10%), moderate (11-50%) and high (>51%). In adenomas, the HGF immunoreaction was high in 33 (82.5%) and moderate in 7 (17.5%); the c-met staining was high in 3 (7.5%) and moderate in 37 (92.5%); and the STAT3 reactivity was high in 25 (62.5%) and moderate in 15(37.5%). In carcinomas, the HGF immunoreaction was moderate in 21 (80.7%) and low in 5 (19.2%); the c-met staining was high in 14 (35%), moderate in 25 (62.5) and low in 1 (2.5%); and the STAT3 reactivity was moderate in 17 (65.3%) and low in 9 (34.6%). In both type of lesions, HGF and c-met showed a membranous and cytoplasmic location. In adenomas, STAT3 was detected in cytoplasm and nucleus and in carcinomas it was limited to cytoplasm. While the HGF/c-met/STAT3 expression in adenomas was significantly different from carcinomas (c2 = 17, p < 0.0001), no correlation was found among HGF, c-met, or STAT3 immunostaining with histotype or degree of dysplasia in adenomas and the same for histotype, grading or staging in carcinomas. These features, suggesting a role of the HGF/c-met/STAT3 signal in colon tumorigenesis, indicate that a reduced expression of HGF and c-met is associated to progression of adenoma into carcinoma.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Published
2009-06-29
Section
Original Papers
Statistics
Abstract views: 145

Untitled (): 0
PDF: 1117
Share it

PlumX Metrics

PlumX Metrics provide insights into the ways people interact with individual pieces of research output (articles, conference proceedings, book chapters, and many more) in the online environment. Examples include, when research is mentioned in the news or is tweeted about. Collectively known as PlumX Metrics, these metrics are divided into five categories to help make sense of the huge amounts of data involved and to enable analysis by comparing like with like.

How to Cite
Trovato, M., Vitarelli, E., Grosso, M., Alesci, S., Benvenga, S., Trimarchi, F., & Barresi, G. (2009). Immunohistochemical expression of HGF, c-MET and transcription factor STAT3 in colorectal tumors. European Journal of Histochemistry, 48(3), 291-298. https://doi.org/10.4081/898

Most read articles by the same author(s)